R.W. MEANS’ OWL CLUB (HARVARD FINAL CLUB) HAMMERED SILVER PITCHER, GORHAM MFG. CO., 1910.Est. $500-$800
Sold: $960 ($800)
Of squat baluster form, engraved on one side with a triangle enclosing the Harvard crest crossed with a banner inscribed “R.W. Means ’09,” flanked by a mug with the initials “AE” and a pipe, and on the other side with a triangle enclosing an owl within the Greek letters Phi, Delta and Psi, the grapevine handle issuing bunches of grapes, acorns and oak leaves onto the sides, the rims applied with twig edges, factory mark, pattern A7215, retailers mark “SPAULDING & CO.” 40 oz. Height 9 ½ inches.Owl Club, one of the eight final clubs at Harvard, was founded in 1896 and originally went under the name the Pipe and Mug, or Alpha Epsilon. In 1916, it was voted officially to change the name from “Phi Delta Psi Club” to “Owl Club.” The club had become informally known as Owl as an abbreviation of its Greek name.